Dear friends, sorry for my absentee posts! The first 7 months of residency have kept me busy, but I am resolved to get some balance back! As an olive branch, I offer you our Family’s Tiramisu Recipe! I enjoyed sharing it with one of my co-residents this weekend! I forgot the joy in sharing cultures and recipes and desserts together!
Mondello Tiramisu Recipe
- 500g Mascarpone Cheese
- 5 large eggs
- 5 Tablespoons Sugar
- 30-40 hard lady finger cookies (savoiardi) cookies (I like Alessi Brand)
- 2-3 tablespoons brandy
- Espresso Coffee (illy, lavazza, alessi) & coffee maker (You’re going to need a stovetop espresso maker, Water goes into the bottom chamber, espresso coffee goes into the middle, and then screw on tightly and heat over low heat until coffee comes out of the top) an alternative to espresso maker/water is to take espresso ground coffee and fill up a coffee maker with it so that the coffee comes out strong. the stronger the better.
- Bitter Cocoa Powder
- Make espresso (about 4-5 shots)
- Add one cup of water to 4 shots of espresso.
- Add 2 tablespoons brandy to this.
- Place mixture into shallow pan
- Separate Egg Yolks from Whites
YOLKS: Add the sugar to yolks and mix well. Add mascarpone cheese and mix really well until creamy
WHITES: Whisk egg whites until snowy, white, foamy, fluffy (makes peaks, need electric whisk).
- Add foamy Whites to Cheese/yolks mix really well
- Add a tablespoon of brandy to this cream mix.
- QUICKLY dip cookies one at a time into coffee and then line bottom of deep baking pan/cassarole dish with them. Don’t get them too soggy, they will become really saturated as you pour the cream on and then it just gets really soggy and gross.
- Cover bottom layer with thin layer of cream mix once you have filled the bottom of the pan with ladyfingers.
- Sift some cocoa powder on top
- Add another layer of dipped cookies then cream then cocoa.
- Repeat until desired height/you run out of cookies. Usually two or three layers.
- Cover and Refrigerate cake overnight (at least 2 hours). I thinkTiramisu is best served 12-18 hours after made.